SigNET LS Sound System to EN60849
SigNET LS is a highly sophisticated and effective distributed emergency sound, public address and background music system ideal for use in large or complex sites. At the heart of LS is a distributed matrix connected to a high-speed data network that allows amplifiers, trigger interface(s), audio inputs, and manual and automatic controllers to be distributed around site or for the whole system to be located centrally.
The network utilises digitally stored messages resulting in the intelligibility and audibility critical for life safety systems. Messages suffer no interference or degradation over long distances, even when many buildings are linked on one network.
Dual data-communication rings ensure the system continues to transmit signals and messages to every other part of the network in the event of a catastrophic failure at any one point and sophisticated disaster recovery cause and effects can be easily planned into the system.
The modular all-master design of the system means that where a site is intended to expand in future, the minimum of equipment can be installed initially and then added to later. The system’s software allows rapid system re-configuration with the minimum of downtime, fault conditions can be observed on a PC screen and configuration alterations made whilst the site records are to hand.
- A sophisticated emergency sound, public address and background music system ideal for applications requiring complex audio routing, i.e., airports, entertainment venues, shopping centres, sports stadiums, military sites, etc
- Fully compliant with EN 60849 when installed correctly
- A 240 audio zone capacity 8 channel matrix with optional PC controlled functions for paging and automated messaging
- Equipment can be centrally located or distributed around the site
- Excellent sound quality – produces intelligible, clear and audible messages essential for life safety
- Digital network means audio suffers no interference or degradation over long distances
- Extremely flexible – facilitates cost-effective expansion of existing systems
- Enables Emergency Sound, VA and BGM to be integrated into one system with many buildings linked on one network
- Dual data rings ensure continuous operation of system and transmission of data even in the event of catastrophic failure
- User-friendly touch-screen control option
System Operation / Components
SS2N NETWORK STATIONS
SS2N network stations are the centre of a SigNET LS network, controlling data transmission and inserting/extracting audio, control and status data to the communication rings. Internal processors continually check the SS2N's status and report changes to all other stations on the network. Each network station includes the following ports and connections:-
SigNET Integrated Peripheral (SIP) port Accepts fault signals from external devices such as amplifiers, equalizers and ambient noise sensors.
RS232 Port Enables intelligent controllers such as PC touchscreens, paging panels, message scenario controllers, fire alarm panels, etc, to control the system's functions.
Communication ring connections Used to link stations together in a daisy chain (i.e., ring 1 is attached to ring 2 and so on) creating a data highway. A ring of twin twisted-pair data cable carries control data and eight channels of audio in opposite directions round the system (four channels clockwise on one pair and four channels anti-clockwise on the other). The data ring can use data cable, soft skinned fire rated cable or MICC. Maximum transmission distances will vary depending on the characteristics of the cable. In the event of a ring break, the anti-clockwise channels mirror the clockwise channels. A fibre-optic converter (FCB) is also available to convert the dual data ring from cable to optical fibre and back.
Contact port Features two input contacts and four output contacts. The input contacts can be programmed, for example, to route paging or digital messages locally and/or globally. The output contacts can be used to provide functions such as volume restoration or fault indications.
Audio connections port Each station has two balanced line-level audio inputs and outputs. The inputs have an input gain adjustment range of 24 dB, allowing a wide range of sources to be used with the system. Each output contains a digital attenuator with three pre-set levels: for emergency paging, normal paging and background music thus eliminating the need for volume restoration controls.
One of the most important end-user features of the SigNET LS system is its use for day-to-day paging and music distribution. In order to make these tasks as simple as possible, SigNET have developed a suite of dedicated controllers and PC software packages to enhance the system, as described below:-
MPC PAGING CONSOLES AND CONTROLLERS
- The following paging and control consoles are available with the SigNET LS system:-
- The MPC16, MPC32, MPC48 and MPC64 desk mounting gooseneck mic. consoles (the MPC16 has 16 programmable keys and indicators, the MPC32 has 32 programmable keys and indicators, and so on).
- The MPC16W and MPC32W wall mounting fist mic. consoles (the MPC16W has 16 programmable keys and indicators, the MPC32W has 32 programmable keys and indicators).
All variants have an LCD that displays system status and fault information and is used to configure the system. Each console's buttons can be assigned to various functions such as selecting audio zones or groups of zones, selecting background music sources, adjusting paging and mic. levels, setting day and night volume levels and selecting/routing messages.
SCENARIO CONTROLLERS & LIFE SAFETY MESSAGES
Scenario controllers are sophisticated life-safety programmable logic controllers that allow complex control functions to be added to a system. Uses include message control of cause and effects, custom interfaces to other systems, timing etc.
SOUND VAULT MESSAGE STORAGE
Allows messages of up to 16 kHz bandwidth to be stored and played when required. The message data is continuously monitored and any faults reported.
SIGNIFY-1 CONTROL AND FAULT SOFTWARE
PC software that:-
- Provides an innovative graphics interface allowing full paging and music control of the network.
- Enables custom text to be assigned to any network fault. (reports may be printed automatically or on demand using any standard Windows printer).
- Allows operators to select complete pre-recorded messages and play them in selected zones at specific times/intervals.
SIGNAL PROCESSING AND AMPLIFIERS
A full range of life safety graphic equalizers, ambient noise sensors, delay lines and amplifiers are available.